Friday, November 30, 2012

N.B. to Priests

Confessional at Saint Joseph Chapel in Milwaukee

J.Q. Tomanek has some succinct advice, in the form of a list, to priests regarding what they need to start providing more of to their parishioners during the Year of Faith. I've selected a few of the most important, based on my own experience. The flock is thirsting for grace. Priests need to take it up a notch. From Ignitum Today:
2. Confession times. We need more. An hour a week is not cutting it. Lately, I can show up on time for the beginning of Confession and still be waiting 30 minutes later and sometimes I have been in line for over an hour and failed to receive the Sacrament because Mass started. I really don’t mind people receiving some sort of direction in the confessional, but please keep in mind there are others behind them that really want to receive our Lord but must confess mortal sins. 
3. Absolution. Yes, we want to hear those words “God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” We also want to pray the Act of Contrition even if we forget it on the spot. We don’t mind you helping us pray it. 
4. Penance. This is completely up to you. It is your territory. But please consider that my sins should not be taken lightly. Those mortal sins I just confessed, yes those alone were capable of crucifying Jesus. 
5. Homily. I can get the latest sports on ESPN. I can read the bulletin after Mass. I don’t need a reminder to go to the Church festival at a neighboring parish. What I really need is Jesus. I need him preached from the mountaintops. I need the Gospel explained so that I go out into the world and live His Word. Remember, you have 30 minutes per week to teach me the Faith, please do so like this is last chance you get to convince me to keep practicing my Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment