Monday, August 31, 2009

TR



A travel companion once made an anti-Catholic remark to President Theodore Roosevelt, hoping to ingratiate himself with the Protestant President. Refusing to take the bait, Roosevelt turned to him and stated icily:

"Archie, when I discuss the Catholic Church, I am reminded that it is the only church which has ever turned an Eastern race into a Christian people. Is that not so?"

Reflections from a father to his son on plans for an upcoming safari:

"I think I shall get a double-barrelled 450 cordite, but shall expect to use almost all the time my Springfield and my 47-70 Winchester. I shall want you to have a first-class rifle, perhaps one of the powerful new model 40 or 45 caliber Winchesters. Then it may be that it would be a good thing to have a 12-bore shotgun that could be used with solid ball...It is no child's play going after lion, elephants, rhino and buffalo."

And thus has Theodore Roosevelt won me over, despite his importunate progressivist policies. Nobody's perfect, after all.

(Taken from Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris)

No comments:

Post a Comment