Friday, March 09, 2012

'Cause I gotta have faith


Jack Hannahan, third baseman for the Cleveland Indians, discusses his faith and his trials in an interview that appears in the National Catholic Register. His observations on confession are powerful. Here's an excerpt:

What route did you take to stop drinking?
I went to rehab, where I learned the 12 steps, and simultaneously began to realize the importance of what the Church teaches. I already went to Mass every Sunday and even at times during the week at school, but I didn’t really interiorize what was there. It was just more something you did because that’s what you do. It was a duty rather than an opportunity to draw closer to God and lead a truly fulfilling life.

A good start in doing that is to go to confession. It’s a way to be honest about the problems you have rather than pretending like they’re not there. Facing reality head on can be scary initially, but, in the long run, it is so helpful because it makes healing possible. It’s such a relief to be unburdened with those things that held you back.

What does your Catholic faith mean to you today?
It means everything. I’m very fortunate to have parents who’ve been married for 35 years. They’ve given me that blueprint for life by raising me in the Catholic Church, and for the past decade, I’ve actually been living that out. Things go so much better when you live in God’s plan.

Once again, the importance of having a stable family life and good parents as examples for their children cannot be overemphasized. Be sure to read the rest of the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment