Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Cameron Fires Back

From ABC News:
In an email statement released exclusively to ABCNews.com today, Cameron said that when Morgan asked him to share his views on homosexuality, “I spoke as honestly as I could, but some people believe my responses were not loving toward those in the gay community. That is not true. I can assuredly say that it’s my life’s mission to love all people.”

“I should be able to express moral views on social issues,” he said, “especially those that have been the underpinning of Western civilization for 2,000 years — without being slandered, accused of hate speech, and told from those who preach ‘tolerance’ that I need to either bend my beliefs to their moral standards or be silent when I’m in the public square.”

He concluded, “I believe we need to learn how to debate these things with greater love and respect,” and added, “I’ve been encouraged by the support of many friends (including gay friends, incidentally).”

I am regularly shocked by the degree of vitriol, hatred and intolerance that emanate from the far left, especially on the question of homosexuality. Cameron was asked by CNN's latest back bencher provocateur Piers Morgan about his opinion on gay "marriage" on CNN. (Morgan's show, incidentally, boasts dismal, pathetic ratings.) Cameron gave his honest opinion in a reasoned, calm manner, and since then, has been the recipient of frenzied assaults by the media and the doyens of the entertainment industry. Conservatives are routinely accused of being obsessed with the social issues, when, we are told, people really care more about the pocket book issues. But time and again, it is the left and its most prominent talking heads that constantly bring this stuff up. I'm thinking of George Stephanopoulos who, out of nowhere, grilled Mitt Romney on contraception at a debate a couple of months ago.

These are the same people who, ironically, sanctimoniously preach tolerance and respect for diversity until they're blue in the face. It's not tolerance they are after, but the "dictatorship of relativism" and anyone who dares to stand in their way will be cowed into timid silence for fear of being on the receiving end of their volcanic eruptions of vile epithets.

No comments:

Post a Comment