Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Enjoying Chopin


I've been listening quite a bit to the works of the Polish composer Frédéric Chopin. It's hard not to fall in love with his genius. His music for the piano is romantic and passionate yet ordered and elegant, uplifting and airy while not void of a certain melancholy. There are times when I'm listening to say, Beethoven, and the intensity of his crescendos gets to me and I have to say, "Enough!" but this never happens with Chopin. Everything about his style is so gentle and smooth. I am admittedly a bit of a dilettante when it comes to the intricacies of deciphering the chords of music but Chopin's music is simply wonderful. It just exudes a Slavic ethos. Every time I listen to his work I am reminded of my time in Poland: the natural beauty of the country, the people, the tranquil town square in Krakow, etc., probably just as he intended it.

No comments:

Post a Comment