Thursday, February 14, 2008

On Noonan

I had a conversation with a friend today about the varying styles of a few well-known, conservative op-ed contributors; writers like Mark Steyn, Ann Coulter, to name a couple. Naturally, we discussed Peggy Noonan. I voiced my enthusiasm for Ms. Noonan, arguing that her pen, at its best, flows with the ease of an intimate conversation. After infusing the right principles into an article, shouldn't a smooth delivery be one of the prime objectives of a good op-ed writer? People should enjoy reading your piece. But my friend objected: "She's too choppy. I can't follow her thoughts comfortably. It's too disjointed." In another pithy observation, she summed up her feelings toward Noonan: "I don't know if I'm missing something, or if Noonan is going for some trendy, avant-guard style, but I just can't stand it." While my friend's assessment surprised me somewhat, I had to admit that she had a point and that Noonan does often come across as a bit too casual. No, it's not just the casual style, I like that. Rather, it's as though Noonan assumes that the reader is linked directly to her mind in some psychic bond which results in her not having to make the effort to tease out her ideas or observations and tie them into tightly packaged, coherent arguments. I've thought about it and I think my friend was on to something. But I still find Noonan's writing stimulating and it has a certain charm to it.

Here's Noonan's latest. Judge for yourself.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120302279226969393.html?mod=opinion_main_commentaries

No comments:

Post a Comment