Thursday, September 27, 2007

The War


Ken Burns put together a magnificent documentary on WWII entitled The War. It's airing on PBS for the next couple weeks and runs approximately fourteen hours. The War recounts the epic battles of the Second World War and ties them together with the stories of a number of soldiers from four American towns. The documentary is loaded with interviews of survivors of the D-Day invasion and the numerous, costly battles in the Pacific.

While watching this powerful series, I'm struck at how "ordinary" men became heroes, not by ignoring their humanity or through superman-like affectations, but by forging ahead in spite of mortal dangers and very real fears. Real people fought and died. The War is also complimented with beautiful music. Norah Jones sings a haunting rendition of Gene Scheer's American Anthem. The following lyrics, accompanied by a lonely piano and grainy, black and white photos of young American soldiers spoke volumes.

Each generation from the plains to distant shores,
With the gifts they were given were determined to leave more.
Battles fought together, acts of conscience fought alone,
These are the seeds from which America has grown.
Let them say of me I was one who believed
In sharing the blessings I received.
Let me know in my heart when my days are through,
America, America, I gave my best to you.
America, America, I gave my best to you.


http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

1 comment:

  1. yeah, this is an awesome film. I couldn't stop watching it when i ran across it the other day. Really well done on all levels.

    ReplyDelete