Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Pass the Wine


I've always thought it totally absurd, while perhaps good for humility, that I'm required to show my ID to order a beer or buy a bottle of wine, especially when the gal carding me is several years younger than me. When I returned from Italy, I experienced something of a reverse culture shock when I had to present my ID for a glass of wine. First there was the question: "Can I see some ID?" Followed by an awkward silence as I thought, "What did she say?" Then, remembering where I was once again, I fumbled clumsily for my wallet and handed over my drivers licence. Are you kidding? In Italy, Spain or Poland, I could get a drink with greater ease than figuring out where the bathroom was. Ordering alcohol in Europe is a non-issue. Here in the US it's another story. More vexing still is when stores here adopt a Soviet-like policy of carding anyone, even the old ladies keen on a glass of brandy in the evening: one of those little pleasures in life, isn't it?

A good friend of mine from Italy sent me the following link. The article discusses the consequences of the dated and puritanical drinking laws in the United States. To be certain, these silly laws are the direct result of irrational and scrupulous Protestant fears of one of life's great pleasures. Countries in Europe (most notably the Catholic ones) that take a less uptight approach toward drinking ages experience far fewer problems with binge drinking typically associated with youth.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110010555

1 comment:

  1. the drinking age is just a choice that our society has made and you cant use binge drinking as the only standard for judging whether its good or bad. And as far as carding everyone, it is a fool proof way to apply the law, thats far from Soviet. since when must laws be convenient anyway? I bet the old ladies like being asked anyway-it can be seen as flattering. So many people complain about this law, but it isnt going to change so deal with it.

    ReplyDelete