Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Churlish President

From The Ticket:
A day after President Barack Obama declared, "I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth," a not-so-subtle swipe at Mitt Romney's wealth, the former Massachusetts governor responded by accusing the president of "attacking people" instead of "attacking problems." ...

"I know the president likes to attack fellow Americans. He's always looking for a scapegoat, particularly those (who) have been successful like my dad," Romney said. "I'm not going to rise to that. This is a time for us to solve problems. This is not a time for us to be attacking people, we should be attacking problems."

This is an excellent reply from Romney, who demonstrated a lot of class by not descending into a tit for tat. When I read the president's comment, I couldn't help thinking how unbecoming, un-presidential and childish he came across. It's just not something that a mature adult who is supposed to be a leader should say. It's divisive and surly, far more worthy of Maureen Dowd than an American president.

And it's fair to ask, what is the president's implication? It places those who've worked hard and who are successful on the defensive, painting them as suspect and rarefied. What a great way to inspire economic renewal in America!

No comments:

Post a Comment