Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Forcing Modesty

From Reuters:
NEW YORK (Reuters) – Skimpily dressed visitors to New York City's main jail complex can only see inmates if they cover up with an oversized, baggy, green T-shirt as part of a new dress code.

The new rules at Rikers Island aim to maintain a "family friendly" environment at the jail.

Maybe some churches should follow suit during the dog days of summer. Quite often, I am stunned by what some women get away with wearing into church.

As a matter of fact, as chagrined as I am by the tendency over the past couple of decades to create new "ministers" for every responsibility within the church that should belong to priests, I am making it known here that I would gladly volunteer myself as a Modesty Minister so that I could hand out oversized black smocks to "skimpily dressed" Mass attendees as they enter the vestibule. I say black because I wouldn't want to see any resemblance between the smocks and the gaudy, chintzy chasubles I've seen at some churches.

No!

No comments:

Post a Comment