Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Catholic but...

I just came across a news story showing off this catchy title: "Many Catholics Loyal to Church, Not the Vatican". At the moment, time is rather sparse to comment on this nonsense at any length, but it demonstrates the popular move by so many out there to drive a permanent wedge between the Catholic faith and the pope. Predictable fare coming from those who don't want to be reminded that they're supposed to live a certain way.

It reminds me of a humorous line Christopher Buckley once made. I'm going from of memory here but it went something like this:

"I love these Catholics who say, 'I'm Catholic, but I don't need the pope to tell me what to do, I don't need the bishops, and I don't need the priests, and so on', and by the time they're finished, you want to hand them an entry card to the Unitarian church."

No comments:

Post a Comment